CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 10, 2011

All I Want(ed) for Christmas is...

...For my babies to WALK! I have been very nervous that the twins would follow in the footsteps (literally) of their brother, who didn't walk until 18 months. Chloe walked at 12 months- very standard, very normal. I didn't think anything of it at the time and just assumed all my kids would walk around that same time.

Well, with Mitchell, 12 months came and went, then 13, then 14. By 15 months, I was getting a little worried, and a lot impatient. By 15 months, having a non walker is very inconvenient and there is no longer any benefit to not having them walking. A very long 3 months later (including a physical therapy evaluation and 2 physical therapy sessions), he started walking and I was so thrilled and relieved.

With the twins, when 13 months came and went, I was just sure that they were on the same path as Mitch and that I was doomed to have another- no, two more- 18 month walkers. So really, in all honesty, all I wanted for Christmas this year was to have at least one baby walking. Both of them walking would be a bonus- a Christmas miracle, really.

Well, I can happily say that I got exactly what I wanted for Christmas! The week of Christmas, both Leah and Lexi started walking. Oh, what a great week for their mother. I seriously couldn't be happier and it truly was a Christmas miracle.

A great action shot of Lexi walking- she is my slow and steady walker. She falls much less than Leah and very methodical about her walking. She still tumbles (who doesn't) but it is much more rare than her sister. She is very controlled. She really came out of nowhere with her walking. Leah practiced taking steps for a week or two before she really walked, but Lexi really didn't take many practice steps. She saw Leah walking one day and it was as if she said to herself, "Hmm.. that looks fun, Doesn't look to hard. I'll give it a try." Leah took off one day walking all over the place and I turned around and there was Lexi, toddling around on foot behind her. What a great surprise!

And Leah, our fast and furious walker. Her little mind works much faster than her body and she gets going so fast that her little legs can't keep up. She takes quite a few tumbles but can hop back up before you can even blink. We are not surprised at all at this walking style of hers, as she was the fastest crawler I have ever seen. She could make it from one end of the house to the other in 2 seconds flat. She is so cute to watch as she speeds off, crashes, and starts over again.

Even having both hands free now still hasn't convinced Lexi that using her hands to carry things is easier than her mouth.

The cutest thing is watching the two of them toddle around together. When I was pregnant with the twins, everyone warned me how hard this stage would be with two walking babies. It definitely has its challenges, but it is so much fun, too!

Merry Christmas to ME!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Hooray for babies who walk on their own without physical therapy consultations! They are so cute walking and look so tiny doing it.

TaylorClan said...

I love walkers too!

SuburbiaMom said...

They are so cute in the pictures, walking/toddling. I bet video of them is just the cutest thing ever!

Foust Family said...

Merry Christmas to you! I LOVED when Lilly started walking, too! The girls are so adorable! The first month of walking is so fun to watch!