CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Rock Sale

We've been out of town for the past 2 weekends and while we thoroughly enjoyed our vacation, we knew that we needed to spend the next few weekends getting lots done. Last Saturday was a non rainy day, so we took full advantage of it by working outside in the garage and yard. The kids love playing outside, which works out great, and by 10:00 a.m. were playing with the other kids in our cul de sac.

A few minutes into their playing, Chloe ran up to me and asked if they could have a rock sale. Um, what?? Chloe has wanted to have a "sale" for a long time- she constantly asks to have a lemonade stand, but who is interested in lemonade on a rainy, 50 degree day?

I first said no to the rock sale, but the kids were all very persistent and excited about it and I eventually caved. With permission, all the kids started gathering up rocks and hauled them down to the end of the cul de sac. They quickly found a small table, a chair and made some signs. They were much more prepared then I thought they would be. I was actually quite impressed.

Here is the sign they made, which they taped to our street sign. It says:
"Rock Sale
$1 or more"

I love the "$1 or more"- I assume the "Or more" part means that you have to pay at least a dollar per rock, and they are hoping you'll give them MORE than a $. Who can put a price tag on dirty, plain, back yard rocks?

The happy sellers

They even brought down games to play while waiting for customers, and a drink.

Sometimes they would all be gathered around the table, other times they'd be close by playing with their toys. But every time a car would drive by, or someone would walk by on foot, all the kids would gather together at the table and yell "Rock Sale, Rock Sale. $1 or more! Rock Sale, Rock Sale, $1 or more!" (Quite catchy, really).

I was actually quite embarrassed by them selling rocks on the street. I mean, really- if you're going to sell something, at least make it something people can use. But selling rocks kept them happily busy and entertained for over 5 hours. And I need to keep reminding myself that kids will be kids and they need to be able to be creative and have fun, even if it embarrasses their parents.

But the most shocking news of the day was that they made $7. What? I missed the first few sales, but was present for the last one. A 8 or 9 year old boy came walking down the street with 3 $1 bills clutched in his hand and seemed very excited to be able to purchase some very plain rocks. He handed his money to the sellers and started picking out some rocks. Chloe and all her friends started to tell him "Ok, you can pick out one or two rocks" and I quickly jumped in and told the kids that for $3, he could take as many rocks as he wanted. He graciously took just 3 rocks, visited for a minute, then left.

When the sale was over, I helped the kids split up their earnings evenly. I guess the good thing about selling rocks is there is no supplies to buy, so everything made is pure profit. Smart kids.

And these two non-sellers stayed entertained by "walking" Daisy. How many 1 year olds does it take to walk a dog?

Good thing her leash is long so that both of them can hold on to it. And as they walked her they'd say "heal, heal" just like their daddy tells her.

Anyone need rocks? I've got 2 great salesman and a great pile of rocks to choose from!

3 comments:

Holly said...

What is funny! And I'm shocked they came out with $7... goes to show people really will buy anything.

I'm putting in a request to see pictures of life with the puppy - did I miss the selected name?

Amanda said...

THat is hilarious. And adorable. But I should probably remind you that we painted rocks, and then walked door to door trying to sell them. So Chloe really is your daughter. Did Daisy behave while the babies walked her?

SuburbiaMom said...

$7! They're rich! The twins look so adorable walking Daisy!!