CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 18, 2008

The Magic Baby Monitor

So Chloe pulled a funny this week. Monday night we were all upstairs just hanging out. We were in my and Ben's room, then Ben took Mitchell into his room to change his diaper, where we have a baby monitor. Ben was talking to Mitch as he changed his diaper and Chloe and I, still in my room, could hear him talking through the listening end of the baby monitor. Chloe thought that was pretty funny, and, thinking Ben could hear us through the "listening end only" of the monitor, ran over to it and started talking to him. Since Mitchell's room is really close to ours, and because Chloe was talking really loud, Ben could hear her and started talking directly to Chloe through his end of the monitor. They were chatting back and forth with Chloe giggling and loving this game, still thinking that the only reason daddy could hear her was because she was talking into the monitor. Suddenly, Ben, just to spice things up, started talking in a deep growling voice and said, "Chloe, I can see you!" Chloe's eyes got really big, she gasped, put her hand over her mouth, than ran out into the hall and down to Mitchell's room yelling "Daddy, Daddy, it's PAPA!" When Ben changed his voice, she apparently thought it was her Papa. Ben and I thought this was hilarious- Ben wasn't trying to impersonate anyone- he just thought Chloe would think it was funny if he changed his voice, but apparently she thought a new person had joined our conversation. So we asked her which Papa it was (she has 2) and she said it was my dad, Papa Blakeslee. She ran back into our room and went right back over to the monitor, picked it up and started talking into it just like a walkie talkie, saying "Papa? Are you there?" "Papa, do you have another pomegranate?" (See earlier post for her and papa's love of pomegranates.) Ben, not wanting to ruin the fun, kept talking to her as if he was Papa. Chloe was in heaven and carried on an entire conversation with who she thought was her Papa. Later, I switched Ben places because Chloe was calling out to female relatives, wanting to talk to Aunt Catherine, Grandma, Nana, etc. I became those people and we carried on wonderful conversations. Things got interesting when she started requesting the conversation of animals, mainly my mom's neighbor's horse, Modock. I had to start making up horse noises (which are....what?? A horse is hard! Try making a neighing sound- not as easy as you think) and did my parents dog and other animals. It was quite the comical night, and so fun to see Chloe so excited to be "magically' talking to all her relatives via a one-way baby monitor. The next morning, she ran right into our room, picked up the monitor and yelled into it, "Modock? Modock? Are you there?" (Requesting the horse over any humans?!?) Unfortunately, the magic had run out, as Ben was at work, unable to perform as the man version of voices, and I was still in bed with Mitchell, unable to be proxy for the females and animals. Never a dull moment here.

3 comments:

bethany said...

That is so awesome. I'm going to have to get me one of those magical baby monitors, especially if I can hear you & Ben sounding like animals!!
bethany

Tara said...

Oh the entertainment that is small children! Great story. Now you just need to adjust the frequency so she'll learn that she can "talk" to the neighbors, too.

It reminded me of when I was young and my cousin that was a lot older than me would go in the other room of my grandma's house and talk through the vents in the floor. She had me fully convinced there was a little girl living in the heating vents under the house!

Camille said...

That is too cute!