CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Whoa, baby!

Well, this will probably come as a surprise to no one (word spreads fast), but we might as well announce it anyway.  I'm not sure why I've waited so long to put it on the blog, but I could come up with a few reasons/excuses.  In October, the Andros family will be adding an addition to their house and expanding it by 4 feet..... Yes, two babies are on their way to our home!  Twins!  Who would have thought?  We are very excited and cannot wait to welcome into our family 2 more beautiful babies.  We don't know if they are boys are girls yet, but we do know that they are fraternal twins, which gives us the possibility of any combination- 2 girls, 2 boys, or one of each.  Chloe hopes at least one is a sister for her, but we have talked about the possibility of 2 more brothers. 

I am almost 15 weeks and we told Chloe the big news a few weeks ago.  We got it on tape and she handled the news very well, but got very silly at times.  Mitch, of course, has no idea what is going on and after we received the big news, we knew we HAD to get him walking ASAP.  He has fulfilled his end of the bargain and is now ready to be a big brother!

As for me, I have been very sick and what they say is true- if you get sick with pregnancies, it is definitely twice as bad with twins (and twice as tired, too).  I have never felt so ill in my life.  For me, it's been like having the flu all day, every day.  Things are starting to get a bit better now that the first trimester has passed and I can finally keep a little food down.  I never thought in all my life that the thought of ice cream would make me nauseous (it still makes me sad to say that).  But I have hope that I can feel much better soon and be able to eat like a normal person once again.  Pregnant with twins is the most effective diet I have ever been on (I lost 8 pounds in just a week or two) but I would much rather have to work those pounds off at a gym than feel this rotten.

But sickness aside, we are very excited.  But along with that excitement, we have had to hear the responses and comments from many people. Although I'm sure they mean well (I try to repeat that after someone blurts out a thoughtless comment), I have come up with a list of comments that I will never say to someone expecting twins.  And to give credit to all those well meaning, all be it rude people, I may have said similar things in the past, which I now resolve never to do again after being on the receiving end of the comments.

1. "Wow, twins..... (with eyes wide open in horror).  You guys are going to be SO busy, wow."

2. Twins??  Oh my!  How many kids do you guys want to HAVE?"

3.  Whoa.  I am SO glad it is you and not me......"

4. "Wow, your house is going to be CRAZY....."

5.  "Twins, oh man.  I'm  so glad I'm done having children."

6.  "Wow, you've got QUITE the road ahead of you....."

And then the various comments that imply that we don't quite understand that twins means two babies and that we better rethink this (as if it's something we could change even if we wanted to).  But to all the well meaning naysayers (none of you personally that I know who read my blog), we see this as a blessing and not in any way a curse, a trial or a test.  They are babies, not bombs!  If there is anything more precious than the expected arrival of one baby, it would probably have to be two and we couldn't be more thrilled.  We have 2 families in our ward who have twins (both older, ages 10 and 11) who have been a great source of wisdom for us.  They have given great advice and have said so many kind words to us.  They have truthfully told us that yes, it is busy and can be hard and we have taken that in and can say that we know that it will be hard, but we can honestly say we don't know just how hard yet, but that we are up for the challenge and ready for some fun!


17 comments:

Foust Family said...

Congrats!! That's exciting! I just read an e-mail today with all the rude things people say to pregnant women, so it's funny (ironic funny) to read what people have said to you!! Good luck with the rest of the pregnancy, I hope you feel better!

Rachael said...

You have no idea how excited we are!!! We just love Chloe and Mitchell so much we know that the next two will be just as amazing!:)

Amanda said...

Two more red heads are about to enter the world!! Remember when you were 40 weeks pregnant with Chloe and that black man at the mall touched your stomach and asked if you were dilated yet? At least you can look forward to that!
Congrats again

Van said...

Yeah! Words out! We are so excited for you and for us!

Holly said...

When I was pregnant with Jason someone looked at my huge stomach and asked if I was having twins… just think, you’ll actually be able to say “yes”. Congrats, I’m so excited for you guys!

TaylorClan said...

The comments get better when you start going for tests at the hospital, then the nurses look at you when you say you have a toddler at home and ask, "are these spontaneous twins?!" and then there are people who say, "whoa, I guess you're done having kids then" and my personal favorite, "I know a couple people having twins right now, it makes me scared to get pregnant." At least the comments are good for a laugh.

My advice is get advice from real parents (sounds like you already are) and DO NOT read books. They are like watching a movie that you know will give you nightmares, but you can't turn it off. They seem to be low on solutions and high in scare tactics.

We are SO GLAD you are feeling better, yeah! It is awful, but from the other end of a twin pregnancy it is worth every ill moment!

Brunson's said...

Congrats! I have been waiting so patiently. Gotta love the small talk and how fast things travel huh. Makes me happy I don't live in Declo. I am so glad you are feeling a little better. Pregnancy sickness is the pits! As far as twins. You will do awesome Carrie! The Lord knows us and our capabilities and wouldn't be blessing you with two beautiful children at the same time if He knew you couldn't handle it. You are an awesome mom and I can't wait to see these two beautiful Andros children!!

Johnsons said...

Congrats!! Carrie I am so excited for you. News does travel fast and I've been waiting for you to post this wonderful news. Good luck and I hope you get to go on that well earned vacation.

Stephanie said...

I am so excited for you guys. Twins are great and I can't think of a better family for them to come to.

Ben and Carrie said...

I have to start filtering the videos that Carrie posts. That was alot of me and none of her!

Camille said...

we are SOO excited for you guys! I hope you start feeling LOTS better and soon!

Nicole said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you! You will be an amazing mama to twins...good luck and I hope you get feeling better soon. (you are right news does travel fast... :) Looking forward to seeing you this month...I promise I won't invite you over for a nonexistant lunch :)

The Blakeslee Family said...

I'm glad you finally made an "official" announcement. I won't feel so bad about spreading the word. Actually, I blame most of the Declo leaks on Catherine. We're all excited. We're hoping for one of each so you can name them Bob and Alma.

Tara said...

I'm still amazed that you were able to keep just exciting news for so long!

I'm sorry that you have been so sick and I didn't even know it. It's really two bad that you have to be twice as sick but two new babies really does mean twice the excitement. Congrats!

Jaime said...

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person who gets obnoxious comments from strangers when I'm pregnant. I won't say anything rude because actually, I'm a little jealous... I've always thought it would be so neat to have twins. I can't wait to hear what you're having. I hope you start feeling better soon!

karla said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting! I hope you get feeling better soon - no one should feel nauseous about ice cream!

The Moore Family said...

Okay! So, I need to start checking blogs a little more often because it seems that I'm behind!! CONGRATS CARRIE!!! Oh my heck, it seems like everyone these days are having twins! There was 3 sets of twins (all girls) born in our ward, and it was all within like 6 months. I think God is trying to send down as many spirits as possible! And word definitely does travel fast, even to Pocatello! Actally Alyssa would be the one that told me. I hope you get feeling better!! I can't imagine beind double tired and double sick! Hang in there!!! I hope you have a boy and a girl because that would just be cool, I always wanted a twin brother...and I love the idea of naming them Bob and Alma!! hahaha! And one more thing, I love the new van! You guys got a nickname for it yet??
Aaron wanted me to add "Good Job and way to Go!"