CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 6, 2013

Quick Get Away

After my family left, we had a lull in our schedule- nothing on the calendar for about 2 weeks.  I knew this summer might be difficult in keeping the kids entertained with me being pregnant and not at full speed, energy wise.  But I had promised myself that I would try very hard to do as many fun things with the kids as I could.  I decided to make an impromptu trip to Tri-Cities with the kids to spend the week with Ben's parents and lots of cousins.

We packed up on Monday 29th and headed out around lunchtime.  Ben came home from work to see us off.


About an hour into the trip, my check engine light came on.  Not only did it come on, but it was flashing.  2 other indicator lights came on as well.  I'm no mechanic, but I knew that a flashing check engine light couldn't mean GOOD things.  The van was running fine, so I kept driving and called Ben. He had me pull over and check for any damage visible on the outside.  No flat tires, no smoking engine- everything appeared to be fine.  When I started the van back up, all the indicator lights were gone.  On we drove.

Within 20 minutes, the 3 same lights came back on.  The check engine light was back on again, but not flashing this time.  I gave Ben another call and he then called the Toyota dealership.  He was told that a steady check engine light sign means something is wrong, but it's still safe to drive.  A flashing light meant big trouble and driving is not recommended.  At that point, it wasn't flashing, but I pulled over to check to make sure the gas cap was tightened properly.  Back on the road again.  By the time we reached Yakima (just over 2 hours into the trip), the check engine started flashing on and off repeatedly, and the van began to jerk and chug.  I knew this wasn't good.  I slowed way down and prayed that we'd make it to the Toyota dealership just a few miles away in Yakima.

Luckily we did.  Unlucky for us, we got there just 10 minutes before the repair shop closed for the day. The man that I talked to said that there was nothing he could do for us today, but that someone could help us first thing the next morning.  I was only an hour outside of Tri-Cities and had no desire to spend the night in Yakima with a broken van, husbandless.  I asked the guy if he could please just grab a mechanic and have them just give it a brief glance to see if it was safe to drive for one more hour.  He told me this wasn't possible, but that he could send me to his boss to set up an appointment for the next morning.  By this point, the kids were getting restless (we should have been to Tri-Cities by now), it was hot, they were hungry and I was near tears.

When I was taken to the managers office, he started pulling up his schedule for the next day.  I interrupted him and begged that he please just persuade one of his workers to stay for an extra 10 minutes to evaluate how bad of condition the van was in.  I told him we only had an hour to go until our destination and that I had no where to stay for the night.  I was about to pull the pregnancy and 4 small kids card, but all of that spoke for itself- I was largely pregnant and my kids were climbing the walls and chairs in his office (loudly) as we spoke.

I had texted Ben and few minutes earlier saying "No one will help us until tomorrow."  Ben looked up their number and called the man I was talking with.  After talking to Ben, he consented to have someone take a look at it quickly.  I took the kids to the toy room and waited.  And waited.  And waited. 

I finally had to go find someone to learn that they were all finished.  The mechanic had driven the van for a number of miles and high speed (60 MPH), but the shaking and pulling of the van never presented itself for him.  Before leaving he had reset it and the indicator lights went off.  During the test drive, none of them came back on again.  I was told that there was nothing they could do tonight, or even tomorrow, without the problem duplicating itself for them.  He was careful not to say he was 100% sure I could make it to Tri-Cities (liability, I'm sure), but said that was definitely an option, as there was nothing more they could do. 

I was glad that nothing serious was detected, but also weary to get back on the road and have nowhere to stop if the problem came back.  But I really didn't want to spend the night in Yakima.

After talking to Ben, I decided to brave it and loaded everyone back up and headed on our way to Tri-Cities.  Lady luck was on our side- the check engine light never came on and the van drove perfectly.  We made it to Tri-Cities without further incident, and most importantly safely.  What a blessing!  I expected the problem to show up again later that week, but nothing ever did and has not since.  So weird.


We had a fun week with everyone.  One afternoon, we had a "girl's day out."  Me, Ben's mom, his 3 sisters and his Grandma went out for lunch, then to a craft store to pick out fabric with his Grandma for the baby quilt she is going to make for my baby and for Ben's sister Megan's baby (she's due 5 weeks after me).

His Grandma has made all of my babies beautiful quilts, but I've never been with her to pick out the fabric.  It was a fun experience.

His grandma is so cute.  I just love her.  She has a pattern she follows and needed specific amounts and types of fabric to fit the pattern.  We all had a good time picking out material for me and Megan.  One girl quilt for me, a boy quilt for her.

This was the final choices for my quilt.  I LOVE the material and can't wait to see the finished quilt.

My little girls loved playing with baby Victoria all week. 

She is such a doll.  And the most well-manered baby.

They will be the best big sisters!  We can't wait for our baby sister to get here.

The big kids played board games and all sorts of other things all week.  Just a few years ago, these same kids were getting into board games and just making messes with them.  Now they can play a game all by themselves.

One evening we headed down to the Columbia River (just a few steps from Ben's parent's house) so the kids could take a quick swim.


  The 3 musketeer boys!

The kids loved it, and loved the homemade snow cones after swimming too.

Chloe and Stella started a "spa" service and gave foot rubs and pedicures to any willing participant.  It was very cute (and very relaxing).

After dinner one night, Aunt Bethany helped all the kids (big and little) make parachute cord bracelets.

The kids loved it and they are such fun bracelets to have.  She is so patient with all the kids and does such fun things with them.  She had Chloe and Stella over one night for a sleep over.  She took them to the store to buy drinks and treats for the night and rented a movie for them.  Best aunt ever.

Uncle Nick flew in from Florida later in the week.  My kids were very excited to see him.  He decided to fill in as "surrogate dad" for the week.

My kids love visiting Ben's grandparents at their house whenever we are in town.  Grandma Forsythe always has delicious chocolates and treats waiting for the kids, even at 9:00 a.m.  She gave us this BIG zucchini from her garden to take home.  We shredded it when we got home and loved making yummy zucchini cake with cream cheese frosting with it later that month.

Uncle KC's hospital work party was going on one afternoon that we tagged along to.  There was yummy food, all you can drink soda, and bouncy houses and fun activities for the kids.

There was a sno-cone booth and a cotton candy booth, which we cashed in on, but the kids were most excited to get their faces painted.  We waited in line for a LONG time, but it was worth it.  You can't even see Leah's painting- it was a very small, pink elephant on her left cheek.  Chloe had a butterfly, Mitch was a tiger, and Lexi a BIG butterfly.

All the cousins with their faces painted!

Nick took this great picture of me while I washed dishes one night.  He said it was a great way to show that I was "barefoot and pregnant." 

We had a super fun week and it was fun to get away and have no responsibilities for a short time.  We missed Ben but LOVE his family and are so grateful they let us bombard them for a week.  They took great care of us!

1 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm glad nothing turned out to be Wrong with the van. And Shame on the mechanics for refusing to look at your car until Ben called. You should have tried crying or pretending to be in labor. That may have helped:)