CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Computer Fun

We just recently bought a new computer, which was long over due.  We bought our first computer right after we got married (almost 5 years ago) and have had the same computer ever since.  It was a great computer for the first 4 years, but recently has had a mind of its own.  It freezes up multiple times each day, will randomly shut its self off in the middle of something (usually something important that wasn't saved), and will even start printing something that I did not tell it to print.  Sitting down to use the computer was kind of like a game- when is it going to shut off this time?  Will this email I'm reading suddenly print itself?  Do I have enough time to write this blog before the computer freezes??  What new clicking noises will I hear this time? (Name that tune, with a twist).  An adrenaline rush, but usually with a frustrating ending.

Ben was in charge of picking out the new computer since he has the knowledge on what's good and what we need (a lot of computer lingo is lost on me).  He takes his job of finding new electronics seriously, and he debated for a few months on whether to go with another PC or to live on the edge and go with a Mac.  At first, I voted for a PC, not wanting to have to relearn how to use a different kind of computer (the Mac).  Ben assured me that albeit slightly different, the Mac would not be hard to learn to use and really was not that different from a PC. We finally decided and bought the iMac 2 weeks ago and love it.  It is so nice to have a computer that runs fast again and that doesn't shut off spontaneously or mid type.  It has a lot of nice features and Chloe's favorite is the musical slide shows that it does of all our pictures we have stored.  She asks to watch a slide show each night before bed.

The thing I like most about it is, as you can see in the picture, the screen is all there is to it.  The actual computer is built in to the monitor- no big box to take up more room on the desk or floor.  And the flat screen panel saves room on the desk- our old dinosaur monitor was so huge that it took up all of our desk space, depth wise.  I think we are the only people who still had the old school monitors.....

Anyway- the old computer, although outdated and dying quickly, still has some use.....




My little computer Engineer loved playing with the old computer while I was on the new one the other day.  He found it fascinating and studied the keyboard and mouse with great care.  Just 7 months old and he already knows how to use the computer properly! 

Chloe came upstairs and found us both on the computer and said excitedly, "Look mom!  Mitchell is checking his email!"  

Only a phrase like that could come out of the mouth of a 3 year old living in this day and age....

5 comments:

Van said...

The pictures of Mitchell at the computer are priceless! He really is his Daddy's son. We've been waiting to see the new computer. It really is a large screen. That will be nice , espcially for photos.

Holly said...

Love the pictures of Mitch on the old computer! I have some serious MAC lovers in my family that have been telling me for years that it is the only way to go.

Maybe we'll take the leap with our next computer. Love how compact it is!

Tara said...

Hilarious! Congrats on the new computer. I'm sure it's great to have something reliable.

Chloe cracks me up. Who was Mitchell getting his email from? It really is crazy what our three year-olds know. Natalie had to show me how to get around in Webkinz World.

Amanda said...

I'm glad Mitch Bob is finally checking his email. I sent him one weeks ago and haven't heard back.....it's about time!

The Moore Family said...

I have had my desktop computer since my first year at ISU and i've been thinking about a new one (don't tell Aaron, cuz he doesn't know that...haha) I am pretty clueless about the whole Mac and PC thing.....but I do know I agree with you and want the flat screen! Well, I'm glad you are liking your new piece of electronic equipment, and your little engineer is such a cutie!!