CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mothers

Happy Mother's Day!






Mother's Day 2008 with the 2 angels that make this day possible!

This is my 4th Mother's Day, which seems like a lot to me in years, but in no way makes me a pro at motherhood. But I have definitely learned a lot by being a mother and have definitely learned from the best. I'm sure many people claim this, but my mom really is the best! She was and still is the best example to me of a wonderful mother. Here are just a few things I have learned from her over the years:

*She taught me that family is the most important thing- growing up, she always encouraged me and my siblings to be each other's biggest fans and supporters. We always spent time together and we always had family home evening each week, with rare exceptions. I now treasure my siblings as wonderful friends and would rather spend time with them than almost anyone else.

*She taught me that it was important to always be honest, no matter what. I know I was not as perfect with honesty growing up as I would have liked to be, but my mom was always the perfect example of being honest, even when it wasn't convenient or always popular. Honesty to me now is of the utmost importance and I always think of my mom when I think of honesty.

*She taught me that education is one of the most important things that I can obtain. I always knew, no doubt, that I would graduate from high school and college, no matter what my circumstances were, and I did, because of my mom.

*I learned forgiveness from my mom. When things would go wrong between us, she was always the first to apologize, even if it wasn't her fault and no matter how rotten I had been. I have tried to be like that with my family as well.

*I learned how to keep a journal and the importance of journal keeping from my mom. Every Sunday, without fail, for as long as I can remember, my mom would write in her journal for the entire past week. She always made time for it and I grew to love journal writing from her wonderful example. She must have thousands of pages written and typed by now and what a wonderful personal history she will leave for her posterity someday.

*I learned to love to read from my mom. For as long as I can remember, we read and read and read together. My mom would buy us kids books and she would read our individual books with us separately each night until the book was finished. She reads book upon book upon book herself and is so well read and well rounded because of it. She has knowledge, big and small, on I think almost every subject you could think of. I have read not even a fraction of what she has, but I owe my love of reading to my mom. I love to read to my kids because of it, and my mom loves reading with my kids as well. She never misses an opportunity to read them to sleep if she is visiting or if we are visiting her. Even when Chloe begs for 1 more books, mom keeps reading.

*I have learned patience from my mom. She was far more patient with me growing up than I probably deserved, and her patience with my kids now is amazing. She is far more patient with them than I can ever dream of being. The things that drive me crazy (the whining, the tantrums, the loudness, etc) do not even seem to phase my mom and she just loves them all the more. In situations where I would want to give up and lock the kids in the closet :), my mom instead takes them aside, loves them all the more, never yells, never gets upset and rarely gets flustered. Chloe is obsessed with my mom, always wanting grandma to do EVERYTHING for her, which often leads to demands and craziness from Chloe, but my mom, always sweet and loving, does it. It is a little bit of spoiling, but a lot of love and patience. She is my example of a patient, kind and loving mother who is now the most patient, kind and loving grandmother. I strive to be like her the most in this area.

These are just a small few of the things I have learned from my mom- I could go on and on. She has the strongest, unwavering testimony and is a living example of all that she believes in. She is the best cook I have ever met, the best listener I know and the best friend. I love you mom! Thank you for everything. Happy Mother's Day!

And now just a few things that I have learned from being a mother:

*Children love is unconditional, and children are the perfect example of forgiveness. The other night, Mitchell woke up in the middle of the night and I let him cry it out, which took more than 2 1/2 hours. I felt horrible and couldn't sleep the entire 2 1/2 hours he cried. The next morning I went in to get him to find his face all blotchy and totally swollen from his crying marathon- he looked like he had been stung by a swarm of bees. But when he saw me, there was no resentment towards me, no anger. He wanted to eat first, but as soon as he was done, he looked into my eyes and gave me the biggest, sweetest smile ever. He had forgiven me, forgotten it and held no grudge. Chloe is the same way- we can have a bad day between the two of us, but as soon as the struggle or disagreement is over with, she never brings up the past or holds grudges. I guess that is why the scriptures tell us to become like little children- their love is unconditional and they have perfect forgiveness.

*A clean diaper makes a baby want to poop. I don't know how many poopy diapers I have changed right after having put a fresh one on, but definitely too many.

*Sleep is a privilege, not a right.

*I could never be the mother I am without the husband I have. Bad days don't seem quite as bad when daddy gets home. He truly is my better half.

*Having more kids makes motherhood harder, but even more rewarding.

*Cherish every moment, even if it doesn't seem like a moment worth cherishing. Kids grow too fast to waste any moments.

*Chocolate melts faster, and better, in the heating duct than the microwave.

*A snack pack pudding WILL burst if microwaved with the lid on and mysteriously explode all over the counter and floor as well.

*There is no greater bond then between 2 siblings, and nothing more precious than watching my kids play and love each other.

*Although motherhood brings out the worst in me, it has definitely brought out the best in me too. My kids make me want to be a better person.

*Children's laughter is the most amazing sound.

*A baindaid can heal ANY owie, and in record time, too.

*Love never stops growing and can never diminish with motherhood. Even bad days do not lessen the love that I have for my kids, even when I feel like running away and hiding for a few days.

*The simple things in life are best. Children show us this in all they do- when they prefer a cardboard box to a fancy toy, macaroni and cheese to a fancy meal, a few minutes of our time over a television show.

*Being a mother is the hardest thing I've ever done, but the best thing I'll ever do.

Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers out there, and all you mothers to be.

5 comments:

Megan said...

well said. hope your day was lovely

TheFlammfam said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts about your mom and motherhood. Your mom sounds pretty darn amazing! You are very blessed!

Amanda said...

Carrie-
I have a mom who sounds almost exactly like that! What a coincidence....we are both so lucky.
--

Van said...

Hope you had a Happy Mother's Day! I loved reading about your mom, she is wonderful and so are you.

The Moore Family said...

I loved reading that! Thanks for sharing! You are an awesome mom! Chloe and Mitchell are so lucky!