CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Beach Bums

2 weeks ago was our annual Andros Family trip to the Oregon Coast.  All of Ben's siblings, their families, and his parents were there for yet another year.  We rented one beach house together- all 16 of us.  Everyone took turns cooking dinner one night and I think everyone brought up their fair share of treats and junk food to share (I have been working hard these past 2 weeks we've been home to try and undo the damage done by all those treats!)

Chloe and cousin Stella on the beach the first day there.  Take note that the temperature is in the high 60's (at the most), their is no sun and the ocean is FREEZING, but these 2 little girls don't care.  They LOVE the water.




There are some fun tide pools within walking distance of our beach house that we go to every year.  The kids love finding the sea anemones, crabs, starfish and other ocean creatures.

Right by the tide pools is a huge sand dune that the men and Chloe and Stella decided to conquer one day.  The hill was huge and we weren't sure if the little girls could do it.  But they did and loved it.  It was a great way to burn off some of their endless energy.

Mitch and his cousin William, who are less than 5 months apart.  Mitch stole William's binky here and is examining it for scientific reasons.

When I finally let him out of his prison (the backpack), he loved sitting in the sand with cousin Sam.
All of the Andros cousins, August 2008.  
Mitch, preparing for his first feel of the ocean....

The inaugural touch is...... cold!  But a hit!

After promptly falling of this beach chair......
I let him get down and dirty!  Megan provided every cousin with their own beach bucket and shovel, and I supplied little watering cans for the sand adventures.

First time on the beach also means, of course, the first time eating sand.  It's yummy (apparently), low calorie (I'm guessing) and there's an endless supply right at your finger tips.


The girls filling up their watering cans.  What a great job they are doing- I give them 2 bums up!

Life on the beach was happy hour for the kids.  There was almost no fighting or arguing and everyone was happy.  When things would get hectic in the house, we headed for the beach! 

 Just like the island on the TV show LOST, there is just something magical about the beach.  Many people on the LOST beach are healed miraculously and I received such healing on our beach too.  For the past 6 months or so, I have been suffering from extreme back and neck pain for unknown reasons.  When we arrived at the beach house Sunday night, my back and neck were about at their worst.  But, Monday morning I woke up feeling great and free from pain.  This lasted the entire week we were there.
Although Mitch spent a good portion of the week in his Kelty backpack, he didn't seem to mind too much (much easier to haul a non mobile, heavy baby in a back pack then carrying him).  Next year when he is walking, we'll permit him some probation.

Chloe kept begging Uncle KC to bury her..... and he did, at least twice.

Down on the beach, where every one has reason to smile, even a tired Mom.

Building a sandcastle (although that's all the bigger it really got.  With a 3 and 4 year old helping you and using LOTS of water, our sandcastle was more of a sand lump).

While they have no cold sensors in their body, they also have no fear.  Running in and out of the waves all day is what they enjoyed most.

That's one way to use a beach ball......

My beautiful beach girl.

The Andros family on the beach in front of the 235 foot Haystack Rock.

Andros Family again
(And no, that is not a new haircut for me- the wind was blowing really hard that day).

My beach babies...... The sun finally came out the last full day we were there and both my white and delightsome babes got sun burned!

Ben and I on a lookout point at the top of the sand dune.  Beautiful view!


Sand Football, the next Olympic Sport
Put me in, coach!

Ben and Marcus, enjoying the freezing water in full body wet suits.

My 2 Italian Stallions! 

What a great week on the beach!  Chloe is already asking when we will go again.

6 comments:

Van said...

I am ready to go again, too, Chloe! Thanks for posting all of the pictures. We need to get copies of all of your beach pictures. I get lonesome for all of you when I see the pictures. Family togetherness is fun!

Van said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

Carrie-
I am very very glad that your hair doesn't always look that way in that one picture. Looks like a lot of fun. I'm already getting our next year vacation planned and it will involve lots of water. Be prepared!
Chloe has me to thank for loving the water so much since I forced her in that fateful day in the motel.(j/k)
Come to Logan soon!

Brunson's said...

Carrie
Looks like you had fun. I had to comment because you had complained about your back and neck. You should go and see a chiropractor. I have Jaman adjust me every week and it feels great. I always feel so energized afterwards. Being a mom causes bad back aches and this has been the greatest thing ever. You can't tell I love chiropractic can you.

Brunson's said...

Oh by the way forgot to add that you look great. You are a cute skinny mom! Way to go Carrie

TaylorClan said...

Aren't kelt packs great? I look back at the pictures and wonder what we would have done without it! We can't wait until next year.