CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 29, 2008

Sleepless in Seattle


We're in trouble!!  I knew this day would come, but I never imagined it being this bad.....  Mitchell has just recently learned to sit up in his crib this past week, which has turned my perfect sleeper into a not so perfect sleeper.  Usually, for naps or for bedtime, I just lay him down and he always just rolls over on his tummy and goes right to sleep.  It was like clockwork- I lay him down, he sleeps, period.  Well, when he learned he could sit up last week, he would sit up in his crib and then start crying really loudly, so I knew something was up.  But I would just go in, lay him back down one time, and he would be out like a light.  Well, as the week wore on, it became two times that I would have to go lay him down, then three, then four.... you get the picture.  And each time he would sit up, he would cry and scream as if someone were cutting his leg off.  This goes on and on until FINALLY he gives up and passes out from pure exhaustion. 

 One day, he just wouldn't nap at all and screamed the entire time.  That same night, he screamed himself to sleep, which took almost an hour and a half.  At one point, I went in to check on him to see if he was laying down.  The cries were tapering off and there were spells of silence between the screams, meaning he was getting close to falling asleep.  I found him sitting up, thumb in mouth, asleep, head bobbing to keep his balance while he sat.  I'm not sure if he can't or just won't lay himself back down.  At any rate, it's like having a tiny baby again, trying to teach them to sleep through the night by crying it out!

But, of course, things are always bound to get a little worse.....

When I heard him crying today, I went in to lay him back down, only to find this!!  What's worse than being able to sit up in the crib, you ask? Please see Exhibit A.
STANDING!
 
As soon as I walked into the room, he quit crying immediately and even grinned at me.  (The little stinker....)  After quickly grabbing a few photos (I had to!  He hasn't even pulled himself up on any furniture yet- this was a big (but terrible) milestone!), I laid him back down and we started the scream fest over again.

Please pray for us- my perfect sleeper is missing and has been replaced by a little man who will not fall asleep.  If any of you see my angel sleeper, please return him ASAP, as his mother is about ready to call the Crazy House and see if there are any open rooms.....

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh dear-this is what I have coming huh? Not to brag....but my baby is now sleeping 8 hours at a time with no crying!
I hope Mitchell figures it out soon. At least he can't climb out of bed yet; it could always be worse.
Hang in there.

Camille said...

Just when you think you have kids figured out, they pull something like this on us. I hope he figures out how to sleep better soon....

Megan said...

you knew it was coming!!! just be glad it wasn't 3 months sooner:) Give him a couple of weeks and he'll readjust (right?!) good luck to you....