CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 31, 2008

Go Yankees!!


It's opening day for Major League Baseball (except for the one game played last night), so I thought I'd give a shout out to our family favorite team- the New York Yankees! My family grew up Yankee fans, thanks to our Dad, a die-hard fan all of his life. He grew up idolizing Mickey Mantle and could name all of his stats and anything about him. Dad can name all the past Yankee greats, current Yankee greats, and never misses a year watching them on TV! My older sister was born during the World Series of '81, when the Yankees played the Los Angeles Dodgers. Dad (and the doctor) were so engrossed in the game playing on the TV in the hospital that he almost missed my sister being born! In 2002, our family vacation was to New York where we, of course, went to a Yankee game at historic Yankee Stadium. This is the Yanks last year at that stadium (the House that Ruth built), as they are building a new stadium right across the road to be done for the 2009 season. Dad has passed his love of baseball and the Yanks on to all of his kids, and now I am to mine (much to Ben's dismay...). It's a fun family tradition that I will never forget, or ever give up. Here's a post dedicated to my Dad and our family tradition of Yankee Baseball!

Proud (and happy!) to be a Yankee Fan!




Should I bunt, or swing away??




Last year, Chloe and I had the opportunity to go to Tampa, Florida with my parents and little sister- home of Yankee Spring Training! Here is Legends Field, the Yanks spring training stadium.


A tradition of excellence!

Our original plan was to attend a spring training game at Legends Field, but by the time we got around to buying tickets, they were all sold out. Lucky for us, the Yanks played the Cincinnati Reds in a nearby town, not far from Tampa, so we got to watch them play there. Here is Chloe and I in front of the day's starting lineups.


There's our favorite player- Derek Jeter (#2).

Chloe thoroughly enjoyed the game.....

She was awake for a few minutes of the game, at least long enough for us to point out Derek Jeter to her and teach her, "What does Jeter do?" And she would always reply, "Hit the ball!" Ever since that trip, she can now easily identify the Yankee logo, recognizes and asks about Jeter, and has taken a liking to baseball! That's my girl....

With a new head coach this year and the last year in their historic stadium, it will prove to be an exciting season! Mitch was born during the playoffs last year, and sadly, the Yanks got out in the first round. We hope they turn things around this year and make it to the World Series. October, being baseball playoff month, is an exciting month for us, filled with baseball and pomegranates (another tradition started by Dad). If we do not answer our phone or come to the door during that month, please know that it is because we are watching baseball (because the Yanks always make the playoffs!) We will happily return your calls and begin accepting visitors again in November...

The All-Star game this year, in July, is even at Yankee Stadium and Dad and I were talking last night that it would be a dream come true to go to that. The price to get into that All-Star game is currently $1500 for 2 tickets, so we are now accepting donations for the "Get Me to the All-Star Game" fund.

And what more can Mitch say than, "Go Yankees!"

5 comments:

The Moore Family said...

When I think of Yankees I think of Blakeslees!! While I was looking at your blog Abby kept pointing at Mitchell in his yankee apparel while patting me on the back and laughing. She found it funny for some reason. I bought her a little plastic bat and ball so she is in training, but she uses it more for golf than baseball....??

Foust Family said...

Go Yanks! I really hope they score the most touchdowns so they can win the World Cup!!!!!!!

Brunson's said...

Being in Kansas City we have become Royals fans. They aren't much to brag about but it is fun have a team you can go and watch a couple times a season so GO ROYALS!!!! j/k hope all is well!!

The Mitchell's said...

I didn't know you guys were Jeter fans....i don't know if we can be friends anymore!

TheFlammfam said...

I love the Yankee jersey on Mitch. He'll definitely bring them good luck! Anyways, I justed wanted to let you know that I tagged you, so go to my page an check it out.